The attention of the Governor of Ekiti State, Dr Kayode Fayemi has
been drawn to some misleading news reports being circulated in some
online blogs alleging plans by the state government to dethrone some
traditional rulers in the state.
The reports, which are products of the bloggers’ hastiness, grossly
misrepresent the development.
It thus becomes imperative to state the true position of things as follows:
• The Ekiti State Bureau of Chieftaincy Affairs is responsible for the
coordination, management and welfare of the Traditional Council and
• The Bureau briefed the Governor, on the prolonged absence of some
members of the State’s Traditional Council meetings as well as
traditional council meetings at the local government level. Mr
Governor directed that the Bureau should write the affected
traditional rulers to find out reasons for their absence.
• The Honourable Attorney General wrote to the Bureau on Mr Governor’s
directives. Consequently, the Bureau (through a senior official) wrote
to the affected traditional rulers seeking for reasons for their
prolonged absence at council meetings. The formal nature of the letter
is what is being misconstrued to be a query.
• Contrary to insinuations, this is merely an administrative matter
which is neither contentious nor confrontational. It is definitely not
a ploy or plan to remove any Oba from office. As public officers, our
traditional rulers act as the direct link between government and their
domains; they have expected duties and functions, and as an
administrative head, Mr Governor should be aware of reasons why such
duties are not being carried out.
• It is on record that some of the Obas had earlier written Mr
Governor to give legitimate reasons for their absence which have been
accepted. The letter in focus was written to only about 11 Obas whose
absence could not be explained and not to the 16 _Pelupelu_ as
• In Ekiti State, our traditional rulers are well respected and
revered as custodians of our culture and traditions. The Fayemi
Administration is committed to the welfare and protection of the
cultural heritage of our people which the Kabiyesis hold in trust.
• Any rumour claiming that Governor Fayemi is planning to dethrone any
Oba in Ekiti State is a deliberate and malicious misrepresentation of
the true situation. It is obviously an attempt from opposition to
create chaos and confusion between the Ekiti State Government and the
good and law abiding people of Ekiti State
• The Governor holds ALL our traditional rulers in high esteem and
reverence as expected of an _Omoluabi_. No arm of government discussed
nor considered dethroning any Kabiyesi at any time because there is no
basis for such.
• Anyone spreading such malicious and unfounded rumours is an enemy of
the good people of Ekiti State and they are hereby advised to desist
from creating unnecessary tension in the polity