Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi has announced September 21 date
for reopening of primary and secondary schools in the state, ending
months of school closure occasioned by the Covid-19 pandemic. Dr. Fayemi who disclosed this in a state-wide broadcast on Sunday
evening also directed that tertiary institutions in the state be
opened to students from October 2, subject to each institution’s
Governing Council decision and strict adherence to safety protocols
to curb the spread of COVID-19.
The Governor stressed that the authorities of the tertiary
institutions are to liaise with the Ekiti COVID-19 Task Force for
guidance on the appropriate measures to be put in place before
Specifically, the Governor said students in SSS II, JSS III and
Primary 6 are to resume on September 21, while students in SSS I, JSS
II and Primary 5 and 4 are to resume from September 28.
Students in JSS I and Primary 1-3 are to resume on October 19, while
pupils in Kindergarten and Nursery Schools are expected to resume on
November 2, when more assurances of safety for their age bracket would
have been established.
The Governor noted that the decision to open more classes was taken
because there has been no spike traceable to students in exit classes
who are writing their certificate examinations saying: “This shows
that our preventive measures to safeguard them from being infected has
On worship centres, Dr Fayemi disclosed that they can henceforth hold
two services on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays while midweek services
and night vigils are still prohibited.
He said: “After a careful review and advice by the experts, I am glad
to announce that worship centres can now hold two services on Friday,
Saturday or Sunday as the case may be but mid-week activities and
night vigils remain suspended for now. Other protocols and regulations
concerning worship centres reopening still subsist.”
Reprieve also came for residents of the state on social activities
especially the ones taking place in halls and event centres with
owners of such facilities now mandated to rent them to users on
condition that they should not contain more than 50 per cent of their
Dr. Fayemi said: “Owners of halls and event centres may now be allowed
to rent out their facilities but under no condition should such a
facility contain more than 50 per cent of its normal capacity.
“This is to allow for social distancing. Events centres are expected
to observe all protocols prescribed for religious centres and to
obtain certificate of readiness before opening.”
The Governor, however, expressed concern on flouting of social
distancing rules and non-use of face masks saying enforcement will
also be scaled up to ensure compliance with COVID-19 regulations.
The Governor added: “While we have progressively responded to the
initial lockdown with gradual relaxation in line with the progress
made, we must remain vigilant as we cannot afford to indulge ourselves
such that a spike may recur as a result of flagrant disobedience to
the established protocol
“We cannot afford to go back into another round of lockdown with its
attendant repercussions. This point needs to be emphasized; though,
there is a national decline in number of cases, there has been a
noticeable upsurge in Ekiti.
“One proof of this is the unpleasant but consistent figures that we
have recorded in the last month. As at the time I addressed you on
August 5, 2020, there were only 152 confirmed cases in Ekiti.
“Today we have recorded a total of 299 cases which means we recorded
147 new cases within a month. You would recall that the total recorded
cases from March to August were 152. This suggests that from August to
date, we have had near 100 percent new cases, even while national
number has maintained a stable decline.
“It is in view of this, that I have issued a new directive to the law
enforcement agencies to ramp up their enforcement activities. We
should not delude ourselves that we are out of the pandemic until
there is a reliable vaccine in place.
“Even as we continue to evaluate situations and act promptly, I urge
you to take personal measures and responsibility by adhering to all
existing protocols, as not doing so, could jeopardize our collective
Speaking on empowerment, the Governor said his administration was
doing everything possible to support entrepreneurs, artisans and
He disclosed that over 200 businesses accessed the COVID loans from
CBN through the Microfinance and Enterprise Development Agency (MEDA)
while Ekiti residents should expect to benefit from the multiple
initiatives from the Federal Government to support the economy,
including the recently launched COVID Survival Fund.
The Governor thanked the state’s medical and health workers in the
front line and the COVID-19 Response Resource Mobilization Team as
well as all donors to the COVID-19 Support Fund.
He urged residents to keep safe in all fronts especially with more
rains coming adding that “we must not only keep safe in terms of
COVID-19 prevention, we must also ensure that the drainages are kept
free to forestall flooding, just as our drivers must keep safe to
avoid accidents in these last quarter as we move towards the end of