Yoruba Afenifere Youth Organization of Nigeria (YAYON) has revealed its ten points expectations from the President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu after his swearing- in ceremony which will come up on May 29.
The demands included Meaningful, and homogeneous development of communities, Standard health facilities, implementation of Agricultural revolution.
YAYON noted that the royal fathers should be provided with monthly security votes (50% of the funds allocated to each state of the nation) among others demand.
The yoruba Youths inconjuction with other youth groups in southwest made these demands on Wednesday at a Press conference tagged “the presentation of set agenda by the youths to the incoming government” held in Mainland hall, Lagos state.
The event had in attendance the YAYON President, Oluwole Eric and all the state chairmen their secretaries across the southwest states.
While addressing journalists, Oluwole explained YAYON in the last few months preceeding the 2023 elections and afterwards critically examined the Nigeria situation since independence till this time and the group have decided to be realistic, objective and tow the line of wisdom.
He revealed that the closest level of government in Nigeria is the local government and its usually the most neglected and ineffectively managed.
Oluwole therefore said that some critical issues bedevilling the country growth needs to be seriously tackled and the group’s ten points agenda for incoming government needs to be addressed.
According to YAYON President “WE (THE YORUBA AFENIFERE YOUTH ORGANIZATION OF NIGERIA – YAYON) HEREBY PRESENTS OUR SET AGENDA AS FOLLOWS”
“IT IS OBVIOUS THAT EACH OF THE STATES IN NIGERIA CONSISTS OF VARIOUS COMMUNITIES AND DISTRICTS UNDER THE LOCAL GOVERNMENTS HEADED OFFICIALLY BY THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT CHAIRMEN.”
“THIS WE CONSIDER INADEQUATE FOR THE DESIRED DEVELOPMENT OF THE COMMUNITIES OR DISTRICTS, AS THE ROYAL FATHERS ARE WELL ENDOWED WITH ISSUES AFFECTING THE PEOPLE OF COMMUNITY WIDE.”
1. WE DEMAND THAT THE ROYAL FATHERS SHOULD AS A MATTER OF URGENCY TOWARDS GENUINE, MEANINGFUL AND HOMGENEOUS DEVELOPMENT OF COMMUNITIES, BE GRANTED STATUTORY ROLES IN THE CONSTITUTION OF THE NATION.
2. IN LINE WITH THE SET AGENDA IN (1) ABOVE, WE DEMAND THAT THE ROYAL FATHERS SHOULD BE PROVIDED WITH MONTHLY SECURITY VOTES (50% OF THE FUNDS ALLOCATED TO EACH STATE OF THE NATION) TO CO-MANAGE THE AFFAIRS OF THE COMMUNITIES AND ESPECIALLY IN THE AREAS OF SECURITY OF THE COMMUNITIES, FORESTS AND BEYOND, IF INVESTMENT WILL BE ATTARCTED AS DESIRED. IN ADDITION, THIS IS IMPORTANT TO PREVENT THE MANACE OF ILLEGAL MINING ACTIVITIES THAT MUST BE STRICTLY AND URGENTLY TACKLED.
3. WE DEMAND THAT AGRICULTURAL REVOLUTION MUST BE IMPLEMENTED IN THE REGION IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE ROYAL FATHERS, THE PRIVATE SECTOR AND GOVERNMENT. FAMILIES, INDIVIDUALS, COOPERATIVES MUST BE ENCOURAGED THROUGH SPECIFIC AND DEFINITE POLICIES TO THE BRACKET OF SUFFICIENT FOOD AND RAW MATERIALS PRODUCTION AND GOVERNMENT OFFTAKE OF THE FARM PRODUCTS. THIS WILL PROPEL HUGELY THE EMPOWERMENTS OF YOUTH.
4. WE DEMAND THAT STANDARD HEALTH CARE FACILITIES MUST BE ESTABLISHED IN ALL COMMUNITIES OF THE REGION UNDER THE PURVIEW OF THE ROYAL FATHERS AND THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT. THIS WILL MOVE HEALTH TO THE PEOPLE AND FURTHER ENERGIZE THE PRODUCTIVE POPULATION OF THE COUNTRY
5. WE DEMAND THAT SCHOOLS MUST BE ESTABLISHED IN ALL THE COMMUNITIES AND WELL EQUIPPED. EVERY CHILD MUST BE ENTITILED ATTEND THE ESTABLISHED SCHOOLS
6. WE DEMAND THAT HISTORY AS A SUBJECT MUST BE ALLOWED IN THE SCHOOLS WITHIN THE REGION AS THIS WILL SHAPE THE DEVELOPMENTAL PROGERESSION OF THE UPCOMING YOUTHS OF THE REGION AND THE NEED TO FOSTER PEACE AND UNITY
7. WE DEMAND THAT OUR LANGUAGE SHOULD BE STRICTLY TAUGHT IN ALL SCHOOLS IN THE REGION. A THIRD LANGUAGE ASIDE ENGLISH LANGUAGE SHOULD BE ADOPTED FOR STUDENT LEARNING
8. WE DEMAND THAT LEGISLATIVE PROCEEDINGS AT THE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLIES SHOULD BE CONDUCTED IN THE LOCAL AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE WITHIN 70% AND 30% PROPORTIONS RESPECTIVELY
9. WE DEMAND THAT THE INDIGENOUS PEOPLE OF THE REGION SHOULD BE PREDOMINANTLY CONSIDERED FOR FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS JOB OPPORTUNITIES SITUATED IN THE REGION.
10. WE DEMAND THAT THROUGH SPECIFIC POLICIES, THE ROYAL FATHERS SHOULD PERIODICALLY PRESENT DEVELOPMENTAL REPORTS TO THE LOCAL AND STATE GOVERNMENTS AFTER GRANTING THEM STATUTORY ROLES IN THE CONSTITUTION BEYOND THEIR UNOFFICIALS ROLES IN THE COMMUNITIES. THIS WILL FUTHER HIGHLIGHT AREAS OF NEED AND PLANING.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO THE ADOPTION OF YOUTHS DEMANDS STATED ABOVE FOCUSED OF ADDRESSING THE ISSUES AT THE LOCAL LEVELS THAT WILL TRANSCEND TO THE DESIRED GROWTH AT THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT LEVEL AND STATE AS AN ENTITY. HENCE A GREATER NATION CAN BE ACHIEVED, Oluwole concluded.
Leave a Reply